Mid-May ReView

Since the start of the year not too much has changed, just struggling to make a few needed changes in my life. There are a few successes however.

First and foremost is that I am student-debt free! Finally.

Feels good













It was a real grind to get there. But I did it. I worked Dave Ramsey's debt-snowball strategy to a T: $36000+ paid off, in roughly 16 months (14 months in real-time since I only paid the minimum for two months I was traveling). That amounts to half my income basically every month on this bullshit. But its over now. And I truly feel sorry for those who are in debt bondage and will remain so for decades of their lives. All because they signed a document as a dumb 18 year old kid. Sad stuff.



Guru of Personal Finance, Dave Ramsey.




Another college-related milestone I hit: its been 10 years since I graduated college. The date was May 10th, 2019. How time flies. That was prime in the middle of the market crash, the great Recession, when the economy was terrible. Maybe about 4-5 years were wasted after then just fumbling, finding my way. I imagine if I had some guidance, say from a dad, I could've progressed much further and faster but thats ok. I felt my way around. I'm currently in the best position I've been in since, maybe ever. High-school is the last time I was this unencumbered financially. Amazing!

Whats also amazing is how rapidly my stance on homeownership has shifted, in the space of two weeks. Before I was against it for simple property tax reasons, now I see its a better deal than simply throwing money into an endless pot of rent. If you have to pay, might as well pay into something you can "own". Technically its three years before the state can kick you out for non-payment of property taxes but thats still miles better than the one week you get as a renter. I still think property taxes are a scam but thats another issue.

At present, I am very averse to taking on any more big financial commitments due to my experience with the loans. Think I'll just save up, do fun stuff for the next year or so and see where it goes. I also do not want a car either, or anything over $15,000. Maybe I can get a cycle.

Other than that I'm just working mainly, thinking of my next move, future goals. I want to go to Vegas again sometime in the next two months and see David Copperfield. That's been a latent dream of mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Retrospective

farewell to supreme.

2022 Retrospective