"I got even"

thats what it takes to get ahead. this was a license plate someone had and it defined my mood perfectly--hand in glove. there have been some recent developments at work to spark my thoughts and accelerate some feelings on a few matters.

the first is the pregnancy of my supervisor. this is the first time I've ever been directly supervised by a woman...and its different. to her credit she is extremely work focused and a good manager but the problem she shares is the same one shared by all women--they are women trying to compete in a man's world. since they are unable to compete directly due to some of the disadvantages that they have, namely that they get pregnant, which wastes valuable time and a few others more mental in nature, the playing field has to be tilted and those drawbacks have to be compensated for. now all of this is fine. but as a result of her pregnancy, she has transferred power over to yet another female, who isn't capable to lead.

aside from this I see just how easy a life women have but that is another subject to delve into at a later date.

more than that, I don't view myself as a passive worker whose ability is simply to be transferred from person to person at a whim. it took me long enough to get used to that idea of respecting a female supervisor, and I believe the one I have now is worthy of it.

but now...I say...


I'm tired of it. the second event, ancillary but still symbolic in its own way, is how a co-worker of mine was treated. he's 55 years old or thereabouts, and it looks like his contract was just renegotiated down by 60% of what he was making! this is a really steady guy, solid worker and all-around decent person. he was given the option to either take it or let it go. he chose the latter, seeking to play the odds that they'll find him another position at a near similar salary. now, he mentioned he'd only be making $29k a year after the cut, so I did a quick calculation and found he's currently at around $72500. sad. with this I realize just a bit more that one has to take control of their own fate, else be tossed around the storms of fate in an ever-uncertain and tumultuous world.

I'm resolute on stopping it before it gets any further, leading to some sort of degradation of my internal compass for independence, and freedom, making me a [resentful] lackey for the rest of my life. I've been offered a few management jobs in IT but in the end managers themselves still have someone else managing them.

the key is get rich...and as the one song goes...if you want to be rich,  you've got to be a bitch. and if that means putting yourself ahead of everyone else, then so be it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2025 Retrospective

farewell to supreme.

2022 Retrospective